Recently, my team and I noticed that our formatting bar was missing in our SharePoint sites and defaulted to manual HTML tags:
Naturally, as a developer, I looked into this briefly and then decided to tough it by doing the formatting manually. However, with more and more documentation in our IT Wiki, I couldn’t stand it anymore and did a bit more digging.
The problem turned out to be that I was using a 64 bit browser. Once I switched back to using Internet Explorer 32 bit, the formatting toolbar came back:
The caveat is that I have Microsoft Office 2010 32 bit installed, so that may be the core issue at hand, although I have read some cases where IE 64 bit and Office 64 bit still didn’t work.
Hope that helps!